Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day in Colorado history. 4 anti-gun bills passed the Colorado House. Here are the 4:
- 1226: no self-defense on college campuses
- 1229: mass unconstitutional gun registration
- 1228: firearms tax
- 1224: standard capacity magazine ban
Here’s what we know:
- All four of these are horrible. They were written and supported by uneducated, incompetent, sexist, racist, ugly, holier-than-thou, nanny-state fools and not one will come close to anything they’re trying to solve.
- They each infringe on my ability to defend myself and my family.
- Somehow, the half-brained socialist pig-sheep who are responsible for this crap continue to get votes in this state. Back off – I need to vent.
- If you’ve been snoozing politically in the last few years, shame on you. Turn on the tv. Read the bills. They DO affect you!!
- There’s still a chance we can stop these. There were a small handful of democrats who voted against these infringing piles of poo. Bravo!! Stay on top of your state senator – the anti-gun majority in the senate is smaller than in the house. The fight isn’t over.
- If you don’t know who your state senator is, click here: http://www.colorado.gov/esri/webmaps/my-hood.html?webmap-id=a4838d49acca478e82f453d209bc81d9, scroll through the map to find your house, then check the “State Senate 2012” box on the left. It’ll tell you which district you’re in. After you know your district, click here: http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/Clics2013A/directory.nsf/MIWeb?OpenForm&chamber=Senate to find out who your actual state senator is. Contact him/her. Now.
- 1229 scares me to death, but let’s talk about 1224 – it’s getting the most press, and rightfully so.
- The bill changed from 10 rounds, originally, to 15. All of my AR-15 magazines would still be illegal, even the 20-rounders (the small ones).
- My carry gun holds 11+1, so the magazine holds 11 rounds. But it has an extended magazine that holds 16. Crap. Those would all be illegal.
- Many of the guns that we take to the range have magazines that hold more than 16. All those would be illegal.
- There is a grandfather clause in here – so in theory, all our current magazines might be ok. But we’re not allowed to let anyone touch them, or that’s an illegal transfer: (2) (a) A PERSON MAY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF
18 HE OR SHE:
19 (I) OWNS THE LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE ON THE EFFECTIVE
20 DATE OF THIS SECTION; AND
21 (II) MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS POSSESSION OF THE LARGE-CAPACITY
- So much for letting students touch them in class. Hands off – I’m not getting arrested for something stupid if I can help it. Go get your own awesome magazine.
- Now let’s talk about 1229:
- There were lots of rumors that this bill would make anyone shooting any of your guns an illegal transfer… which would effectively eliminate your ability to ever take anyone to the range again, or teach anyone to shoot. But that doesn’t appear to be the case. Here’s the text:
- (6) THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION DO NOT APPLY TO:
(d) A TRANSFER THAT IS TEMPORARY AND OCCURS WHILE IN THE
12 HOME OF THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE IF:
13 (I) THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE IS NOT PROHIBITED FROM
14 POSSESSING FIREARMS; AND
15 (II) THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE REASONABLY BELIEVES THAT
16 POSSESSION OF THE FIREARM IS NECESSARY TO PREVENT IMMINENT DEATH
17 OR SERIOUS BODILY INJURY TO THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE; OR
18 (e) THE TRANSFER IS A TEMPORARY TRANSFER OF POSSESSION
19 WITHOUT TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP OR A TITLE TO OWNERSHIP, WHICH
20 TRANSFER TAKES PLACE:
21 (I) AT A SHOOTING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR
22 OCCUPIED BY A DULY INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR
23 CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN FIREARMS;
24 (II) AT A TARGET FIREARM SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE
25 AUSPICES OF, OR APPROVED BY, A STATE AGENCY OR A NONPROFIT
- So per (e) (I) above, I still read that as me being able to take someone shooting. Does anyone disagree with that? Is there a lawyer in the house?
- We’ve already established that none of these bills work, or even addresses the problem at hand: violence in our society. So I just don’t see the point… UNLESS your goal is to sweepingly disarm the public. Just sayin’.
Please, get involved politically. It’s time to wake up. Talk to your neighbors about this and how it affects each and every one of us. And then I can finally stop calling people half-brained socialist pig-sheep. Sheesh.